Polka (French trad.) 2:280:00/2:28
The Glittering Plain 3:450:00/3:45
Ffinan Garw 2:110:00/2:11
Liza Jane 2:060:00/2:06
Les Jongleur 1:430:00/1:43
The Jackdaw's Ring 1:440:00/1:44
The Holy Thorn Tree 2:140:00/2:14
Men of Harlech 1:370:00/1:37
The Lindorm's Cup 1:180:00/1:18
The Jackdaw's Ring - a blog
Artist Statement -
Artist Statement – David S. Sharp
I have always admired the work of indigenous cultures for their inventiveness, spirituality and honest sense of wonder. Across the planet there are many reoccurring and universal icons, symbols and myths that appear in diverse cultures, which I believe are at the heart of the human psyche. My work is a fusion of tribal animistic ideas, the subconscious human mind and modern abstraction. I like to depict icons that are universal Jungian archetypes, and mythopoeic symbols touch me deeply. I draw upon them and the connection they have with me to inform me of the world I live in and the art I create. The style I work in is perhaps best described as Neo-Modern Primitive or Post-Modern Primitive. I use direct carving and like to work from memory, but hold a sense of truth of materials in all the media I use. My sculpture has been influenced by the works of Henry Moore, Constantin Brancusi, Isamu Naguchi, Leonora Carrington and Paul Gauguin. Vision in form as revealed by light both literal and allegorical are my primary goals. I favor the spiritual representation as opposed to the realistic representation. The medium I prefer is wood whose grain is a footprint of its once living spirit. I allow the nature of the grain and its growth patterns to have an influence in determining the shape as well.
David S. Sharp
David S. Sharp
- University of Utah - Department of Fine Art 1974 to 1978 - BFA Drawing and Painting, BFA Sculpture with a minor in Art History. Studied with Alvin Gittens and Angelo Caravaglia
- University of Utah - Department of Fine Art 1986 to 1989 - worked on MFA in Sculpture, completed everything but the thesis-show as my Department Head Angelo Caravaglia retired.
Visual Art Work:
- Wasatch Bronze Works 1978 to 1980 - bronze production work and finishing for major Utah and nationally known sculptors monuments and editions. Grant Speed, Dallas Anderson, Dennis Smith, and many others. Owner Neil Hadlock
- Animation Freelance work - 1980 to 1998 - Ahern Marshall,/XAM Productions, Animage and freelance Animation work - Pencil layouts, Storyboarding, concept and character design. Contractor for Ruby and Spears, Hanna Barbara, Marvel Comics Animation, Murikami Wolf and Swenson, the BBC, Indonesian Television and many others. Boyd Kirkland, Keith Sarjent and Elaine Hultgren supervisors, as well as freelance work by myself.
- Aerospace Illustration 1984 to 1986 - Hercules Aerospace - full time - Ink and Velum Isometric projections, Airbrush, cartoons, graphics, charts, logos and detail work for U. S. Government defense contracts, NASA and various commercial companies.
- Various Freelance works - 1975 to 2015 - University Magazine Staff Illustrator, Bronze sculpture repair to University of Utah Marriot Library statues, Isometric projections and Technical illustration for the Utah Artificial Heart project. Elevation views for Mining equipment, small company logos, Assistant to Professor Caravaglia on the City and County Restoration project of repose’ work in metal and other monument commissions for bronze works. Stage and theatre art production for Dance by Dee. Instrument carvings for various instrument makers, Illustrations for T-shirt companies, Audio CD cover designs and graphics for individual musician clients. Armatures and preparatory work for Ursula Craig Broduf, a Utah Sculptor. I worked on carving the outdoors sculptures at the Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas Nevada alongside collage friend Peter Cole supervisor.
- I have completed a book of early Utah Pioneer dancing for Laraine Miner. Both illustrations, graphic layout, audio music and music transcriptions. Finished a commission of a large 15foot totem and a custom carved table for clients Doc and Terra Floor. A small Nordic style Chess Set. A life-sized Dragon head for a Viking Ship, Relief panel of a Trout rising for a fishing boat transept and a pair of Norse style tent terminals carved as horse heads.
- "UAFG Holliday Gallery 2014" 18 works of sculpture for the Utah Holliday Arts Festival Gallery 2014. Sold several small sculptures.
- "Faces of Utah Sculpture 2015" Two sculptures were accepted and placed for the 11th annual "Face of Utah Sculpture 11" held at the UCCC from July 15 to August 26th 2015.
- "Life Etc. 2015" Two Sculptures were accepted to the "Life etc. 2015" show of Artist Interrupted held and the Bountiful Library in Bountiful, Utah August 8th from 1 to 5 pm.
- "Untitled 2015" Two Sculptures were accepted to the Abstract Art Exhibition 2015 held July 18th through August 21st at the Alpine Gallery on 430 East South Temple, Salt Lake City, Utah
- "notBig3 2015"- One sculpture was accepted for the notBig3 an international show held in Lexington, Kentucky August 11th to September 11th 2015.
- "Face to Face, Modern Primitivism 2015" 14 Sculptures were accepted into the "Face to Face, Modern Primitivism" show a group of four Utah artists at the Utah Arts Festival Gallery from September 18th until October 9th, 2015.
- The Second Annual Veterans Art show - 2015 - October 20th through November 13th - I have had two paintings in this show.
- The Utah Community College President's Art show - 1 Sculpture from October 29th thru November 13th, 2015
- UAFG Holliday Gallery 2015" 18 Sculptures for the Utah Arts Festival Gallery Holliday Show. November 20th thru December 4th, 2015.
- November 20th, 2015 through January 8th, 2016 - Phillips Gallery's Winter Group Exhibit - nine works of Modern Primitive art by David Sharp. Located at 444 E. 200 So., Salt Lake City, Utah. Several works were sold.
- January 15th through February 12th, 2016 - The Mask Exhibit - Four of my masks will be at the Utah Arts Festival Gallery. Reception on the 15th from 6 to 9 pm. Located 230 South 500 West, Salt Lake City, Utah. Part of the Salt Lake Gallery stroll.
- February 4th thru February 28th, 2016 - Sculpture by David Sharp - "Black Lives Matter Exhibition 2016" A national competition at the MCLA G51 gallery in North Adams MA. I have two sculptures "Madonna and Children" and "Contemplation".
- Veteran's Group Exhibit with Art Access Gallery at the Salt Lake Acting Company. I have four paintings, and nine sculptures February 12th through March 31st, 2016.
- Utah Painters Group Exhibit with Art Access Gallery at the Salt Lake Acting Company. I have two of my paintings on exhibit from April 6th through May 1st, 2016.
- 300 Plates at Art Access Gallery - I have two paintings for the auction fundraiser scheduled May 19th, 2016. 6:00 to 9:00 pm
- Faces of Utah Sculpture - 2016 - June 30th through August 3rd. I have two of my works on exhibit with other Utah Sculptors. Wood and mixed media.
- July 15th through September 2nd - Phillips Gallery Summer Group Show - I will have three of my Sculptures on display.
- July 9th through August 31st, 2016 - Sculptures and Paintings of David Sharp at the Chapman Library - A one man show July/August 2016 with a reception from 4:00 to 6:30 pm, on July 9th with a short concert by my wife Carol and I of our original and traditional music at 5:00 pm. There are 116 separate works of art.
- Utah Cultural Celebration Day of the Dead October 29th. I have a twelve-foot puppet carved and mixed media in the processional.
- The Third Annual Veterans Art show - 2016 - October 21st through November 10th - I have six sculptures in this show.
- The Salt Lake Community College 2016 President's Art show - November 10th through the 18th. I have two of my sculptures selected for this national show.
- UAFG Holliday Gallery 2016" 12 Sculptures for the Utah Arts Festival Gallery Holliday Show. November 18th thru December 15th, 2016.
- Phillip's Gallery Winter show 2016 - November 18 - January 13, 2017 - One sculpture titled "Babble Ascending".
- Utah Arts Festival Mask Show - January 20 – February 17, 2017 - I have two of my masks in the show. The reception is 6 to 9 pm January 20th at the Utah Arts Festival Gallery in Salt Lake City.
- 300 Plates at Art Access Gallery - I have two paintings for the auction fundraiser scheduled May 18th, 2017. 6:00 to 9:00 pm
- Faces of Utah Sculpture 2017 – July 13th through August 2017. I have two of my relief sculptures on exhibit.
- Phillips Gallery Summer show – July 21st through early September 2017. I have four sculptures for sale.
- Eccles Community Art Center, 43rd Annual Statewide Competition – August 29th through September 6th, 2017. I have two sculptures on exhibit.
- Alpine Gallery exhibit "Muse" September 15th until October 18th, 2017 I have three sculptures under 8" in this show.
- The Fourth Annual Veterans Art show – 2017 – October 20th through November 11th, 2017. I have five carvings in this show.
- Utah Artists Group Exhibit with Art Access Gallery at the Salt Lake Acting Company. I have one of my relief carvings on exhibit from October 4th through November 14th, 2017.
- The Salt Lake Community College President's Art Show - 2017 I have one of my sculptures at this show running from November 2nd to the 14th, 2017.
- The Utah Arts Festival Holliday Gallery 2017 - runs from November 17th through December 15th, 2017. I have some 18 sculptures in this show.
- Phillips Gallery Winter Show 2017 - runs from November 17th 2017 through January 12th, 2018. I have six of my sculptures at this show.
- The Utah Arts Festival Gallery Mask Show 2018 – February 1st thru 16th. I have two masks in this show.
- The Eccles Community Art Center 16th Annual Black and White Competition. February 2nd thru March 31st, 2018. I have two sculptures in this show.
- Art Access - 300 Plates fund raiser 2018 - I had two wood carved relief panels in this show. May 2018
- Shorr Gallery - West Jordan, Utah - One man show called the Primitive Perspective. Sculptures, relief carvings, paintings and wood block prints of David Sharp May 3rd through July 9th, 2018.
- Phillip's Gallery Summer Show 2018 - July 20th thru September 14th, 2018 - 5 Sculptures
- Face of Utah Sculpture 2018 - July 19th thru August 29th, 2018 - 2 Sculptures
- Utah Cultural Celebration Center - Hallway Glass cases - July 19th thru October 2018. 57 Sculptures
- Art Access and the 5th Annual Utah Veterans art show. I have four sculptures there from October 12th thru November 13th, 2018.
- Art Access Little Treasures Art Show 2018 - Nov. 16th through Dec. 17th, 2018. I have 10 works for sale.
- Phillips Gallery Winter Art show 2018 - Nov 16th through January 17th, 2018. I have two sculptures for sale.
- Utah Community Colleges President's Art show 2018 - November 6th through 19th, 2018. I have one work on display.
- The Utah Cultural Celebration Center 2018 – Holliday gift exhibit. November 8th, through January 7th, 2019
- Ogden Eccles Petite and small show November 20th, 2018 thru January 26th, 2019.
- Art Access Gallery - Small Treasurers Holliday show - November 14th through December 12th, 2018. I have Sixteen sculptures in the show.
- Mask Show at the Utah Arts Festival Gallery January 31st 2019 - 2 masks
- 300 plates May 22nd and 23rd reception 2019- 2 plates
- Summer Show at Phillips Gallery - July 19th through September 2019 - 4 Sculptures
- Friends of Utah Sculpture - July 18th, 2019 2 sculptures
- Veterans Art show at Art Access Gallery - October 18th through November 8th, 2019. I have 6 scenery paintings on exhibit.
- Art Access Gallery - Small Treasurer Holliday Exhibit - 2019 - I have 14 sculptures in the exhibit for sale.
- Phillips Gallery Winter Art show 2019 - Nov. 17th through January 16th 2020. I had five sculptures shown.
I am currently the Business Agent for the Musicians Union in Utah, AFM, Local 104 and am a music contractor in the region for the last 25 years.
David S. Sharp Bio