Artist Statement – David S. Sharp
I came to develop my sculpture and painting from the crucible of many years of commercial work as a graphic artist, commercial sculptor, television animator, musician and aerospace technical illustrator. It was a change of direction from the nature of paid work for hire and many years of academic art. . I have always admired the work of indigenous cultures for their inventiveness, spirituality and sense of wonder. Though I did not grow up in this environment my work has many similarities in a fusion of Tribal Animistic ideas, the subconscious human mind and modern abstraction. The style I work in is perhaps best described as Neo Modern Primitive or Post Modern Primitive. I use direct carving and work from memory along with a sense of truth of materials in all the media I work in. Form reveled by light both literal and allegorical are my primary goals. My favorite media is wood which has a spiritual quality about it since it was at one time a living tree. I allow the nature of the grain and growth patterns to have a hand in determining the shape as well.
David S. Sharp
The Short Artist Statement
David Sharp - Although I am predominantly a Sculptor these days, I've spent many years as an illustrator/animator. I have a Bachelors in Sculpture and Bachelors in Painting and Drawing from the University of Utah with work for my Masters degree having completed all but the thesis. After many years I've begun to paint again as well, with my emphasis on Primitive Modern works and inspirations from poetic or allegorical relationships in nature and myth.
David S. Sharp
- University of Utah - Department of Fine Art 1974 to 1978 - BFA Drawing and Painting, BFA Sculpture with a minor in Art History. Studied with Alvin Gittens and Angelo Caravaglia
- University of Utah - Department of Fine Art 1986 to 1989 - worked on MFA in Sculpture, completed everything but the thesis show as my Department Head Angelo Caravaglia retired.
Visual Art Work:
- Wasatch Bronze Works 1978 to 1980 - bronze production work and finishing for major sculptors monuments and editions. Owner Neil Hadlock
- Animation Freelance work - 1980 to 1998 - Ahern Marshall, XAM productions, Animage and freelance Animation work - Pencil layouts, Storyboarding, concept and character design. Ruby and Spears, Hanna Barbara, Marvel Comics Animation, Murikami Wolf and Swenson, the BBC, Indonesian Television and many others . Boyd Kirkland, Keith Sarjent and Elaine Hultgren supervisors.
- Aerospace Illustration 1984 to 1986 - Hercules Aerospace - full time - Ink and Velum Isometric projections, Airbrush, cartoons, graphics, charts, logos and detail work for U. S. Government defense contracts, NASA and various commercial companies.
- Various Freelance works - 1975 to 2015 - University Magazine Staff Illustrator, Bronze sculpture repair to University of Utah Marriot Library statues, Isometric projections and Technical illustration for the Utah Artificial Heart project. Elevation views for Mining equipment, small company logos, Assistant to Professor Caravaglia on the City and County Restoration project and other monument commissions. Stage and theatre art production. Instrument carvings for various instrument makers, Illustrations for T-shirt companies, Audio CD cover designs and graphics for individual musicians clients. Worked on carving the outdoors sculptures at the Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas Nevada with collage friend Peter Cole supervisor.
- I am currently working on a book of early Utah Pioneer dancing for Laraine Miner. Both illustrations, graphic layout, music and music transcriptions. I also have a small commission for a hand carved chess set.
- "UAFG Holliday Gallery 2014" 18 works of sculpture for the Utah Holliday Arts Festival Gallery 2014. Sold several small sculptures.
- "Faces of Utah Sculpture 2015" Two sculptures were accepted and placed for the 11th annual "Face of Utah Sculpture 11" held at the UCCC from July 15 to August 26th 2015.
- "Life Etc. 2015" Two Sculptures were accepted to the "Life etc. 2015" show of Artist Interrupted held and the Bountiful Library in Bountiful, Utah August 8th from 1 to 5 pm.
- "Untitled 2015" Two Sculptures were accepted to the Abstract Art Exhibition 2015 held July 18th through August 21st at the Alpine Gallery on 430 East South Temple, Salt Lake City, Utah
- "notBig3 2015"- One sculpture was accepted for the notBig3 an international show held in Lexington, Kentucky August 11th to September 11th 2015.
- "Face to Face, Modern Primitivism 2015" 14 Sculptures were accepted into the "Face to Face, Modern Primitivism" show a group of four Utah artists at the Utah Arts Festival Gallery from September 18th until October 9th, 2015.
- The Second Annual Veterans Art show - 2015 - October 20th through November 13th - I have had two paintings in this show.
- The Utah Community College President's Art show - 1 Sculpture from October 29th thru November 13th, 2015
- UAFG Holliday Gallery 2015" 18 Sculptures for the Utah Arts Festival Gallery Holliday Show. November 20th thru December 4th, 2015.
- November 20th, 2015 through January 8th, 2016 - Phillips Gallery's Winter Group Exhibit - nine works of Modern Primitive art by David Sharp. Located at 444 E. 200 So., Salt Lake City, Utah. Several works were sold.
- January 15th through February 12th, 2016 - The Mask Exhibit - Four of my masks will be at the Utah Arts Festival Gallery. Reception on the 15th from 6 to 9 pm. Located 230 South 500 West, Salt Lake City, Utah. Part of the Salt Lake Gallery stroll.
- February 4th thru February 28th, 2016 - Sculpture by David Sharp - "Black Lives Matter Exhibition 2016" A national competition at the MCLA G51 gallery in North Adams MA. I have two sculptures "Madonna and Children" and "Contemplation".
- Veteran's Group Exhibit with Art Access Gallery at the Salt Lake Acting Company. I have four paintings, and nine sculptures February 12th through March 31st, 2016.
- Utah Painters Group Exhibit with Art Access Gallery at the Salt Lake Acting Company. I have two of my paintings on exhibit from April 6th through May 1st, 2016.
- 300 Plates at Art Access Gallery - I have two paintings for the auction fundraiser scheduled May 19th, 2016. 6:00 to 9:00 pm
- Faces of Utah Sculpture - 2016 - June 30th through August 3rd. I have two of my works on exhibit with other Utah Sculptors. Wood and mixed media.
- July 15th through September 2nd - Phillips Gallery Summer Group Show - I will have three of my Sculptures on display.
- July 9th through August 31st, 2016 - Sculptures and Paintings of David Sharp at the Chapman Library - A one man show July/August 2016 with a reception from 4:00 to 6:30 pm, on July 9th with a short concert by my wife Carol and I of our original and traditional music at 5:00 pm. There are 116 separate works of art.
- Utah Cultural Celebration Day of the Dead October 29th. I have a twelve foot puppet carved and mixed media in the processional.
- The Third Annual Veterans Art show - 2016 - October 21st through November 10th - I have six sculptures in this show.
- The Salt Lake Community College 2016 President's Art show - November 10th through the 18th. I have two of my sculptures selected for this national show.
- UAFG Holliday Gallery 2016" 12 Sculptures for the Utah Arts Festival Gallery Holliday Show. November 18th thru December 15th, 2016.
- Phillip's Gallery Winter show 2016 - November 18 - January 13, 2017 - One sculpture titled "Babble Ascending".
- Utah Arts Festival Mask Show - January 20 – February 17, 2017 - I have two of my masks in the show. The reception is 6 to 9 pm January 20th at the Utah Arts Festival Gallery in Salt Lake City.
I am currently the Business Agent for the Musicians Union in Utah, AFM, Local 104 and am a music contractor in the region for the last 25 years.